Why study abroad?
Is studying abroad really worth it?
You might already have a remote desire in you with all the reasons to study abroad. But questions stand still: why to study abroad .. what are the real benefits of studying abroad .., etc.
Chill up, I have lined up all the advantages of studying abroad here to inspire you for studying abroad.
EYE ALSO: 5 Best Travel Apps That Smart People Use
Some are convincing.
Some are pretty inspiring.
Others are actual Facts and Figures.
But they are all here as under.
Personal Benefits of study abroad
30. Personal Development and Determination: In her report, Dr. Julia Zimmermann explains:
[stag_dropcap font_size=”50px” style=”normal”]”[/stag_dropcap]Those who spent some time abroad profit in their personality development, for instance in terms of growing openness and emotional stability. Their development regarding these characteristics clearly differed from the control group even when initial personality differences were taken into account.”
29. Self-Reliance and Self-Independence: Two major root factors of success, Ralph Waldo Emerson says: “Trust thyself: Every heart vibrates to that iron strings.” You’ll experience and learn these two words on your light moments in abroad. Though you’d be having the support of your advisors, counsellors, your institute there. But how would you manage to get through the instants when you would be feeling sad .. frustrated .. and alone. What could reduce the distances between you and your loved ones .. Who would be there to put you in comfort .. Essentially, only you.
28. Self-Awareness and Self-Confidence: Increases couple of times in sojourners. They are more adaptive in resolving a difficult and unusual situation .. than those who haven’t studied abroad in their lifetime. In this scenario, American Institute of Foreign Study is double positive. Says, the students who have studied a semester or a year abroad are more confident in certain things. i.e. speaking, getting social, knowing them, etc. Big deal! Alright, this is a good illustration to find out why study abroad is really, really important.
27. Appreciate and Differentiate Smaller Things: Small joys of our life, tiny pleasurable things, little happiness around us, nature, the very natural things that heal our soul. In general, these vitals are overlooked in the busy routine life. And hence, the inner being becomes rigid seamlessly. It is reported that the students who study abroad, needed more of this all the time. And as a matter of fact, they gradually learn how to squeeze it from their surroundings. Afterwards, this practice becomes the permanent part of their life.
26. Self-Motivation and Self-Management: Since you have taken an important decision of your life to leave your home and study in a foreign country. You must be having a set of goals and the expected challenges in your up front. This is what keeps you motivated. If you are driven by your motivation, you learn how to manage all your mess and focus only on your goals. Wake Forest University reports the life benefits of studying abroad:
25. Knowing About Yourself and Your Abilities: You get to know about yourself and your abilities only if you are curious. And this is why study abroad is the best time, when you are tuned, to stay curious. Discovering yourself more clearly, operating yourself by you .. without any influence and help of your family members or others, bound to aid you .. finding out your hidden talents and abilities.
[stag_dropcap font_size=”50px” style=”normal”]“[/stag_dropcap]IT IS THE CHIEFEST POINT OF HAPPINESS THAT A MAN IS WILLING TO BE WHAT HE IS. ” -DESIDERIUS ERASMUS
24. Broadens the Views and Visions: Studying abroad gives a boost to your visions. It increases your ability to think in a creative way. Particularly, you become clear about the things you are dealing with .. in your present life and that you have to deal with in your future. Professor David Therriault describes why study abroad is essential. And why is it found to be an important factor in uplifting the creative thinking in students?
[stag_dropcap font_size=”50px” style=”normal”]“[/stag_dropcap]One implication of this finding is that experiences abroad facilitate students’ ability to think in more innovative ways.”
EDUCATIONAL BENEFITS of study abroad
23. Living through a Diverse Institutional Environment: This is your chance to live through a different institutional environment ..other than you always had so far. You yourself should decide how much profitable is it to you. To live, to breathe in another educational environment from the one you always used to do. In an experiment in 1978 psychologists discovered that:
[stag_dropcap font_size=”50px” style=”normal”]“[/stag_dropcap]College students who studied a list of 40 vocabulary words in two different rooms — one windowless and cluttered, the other modern, with a view on a courtyard — did far better on a test than students who studied the words twice, in the same room.”
Later, the studies confirmed the findings of this experiment, for a variety of topics.
22. Escaping from Conventional Academic Routine: The same routine would make your creative abilities rust over the time. Hence, studying abroad serve as an escape from the dull academic routines .. the methods, the procedures you are bearing in your home country since always.
21. Valuing Your Degree: That’s probably why study abroad gets more value. Because it adds little or more value in your degree than the studying staying in your home country. Dan Russon, the director of Research and Innovation XceedGroup says,
[stag_dropcap font_size=”50px” style=”normal”]“[/stag_dropcap]The skills acquired by those who study overseas are clear. They are, by and large, better at communicating complex details. They’re also used to being put in group situations and are better at building a rapport quickly.”
Alright, let’s take an example: Suppose if you are doing a graduate degree from abroad. You could have done the same from your home country too but what makes the difference? Count: A lot of living experiences in a foreign country. Plus much more exposure of staying abroad. A never ending experience and some mind-blowingly catchy ideas. That are all gonna change your life once and for all on returning home. Remember, employers are also aware of its real worth.
20. Foreign Language Vs. English Language: The most effective way to learn a language is to stay and speak with the native speakers. While you are learning a foreign language, you can also .. discover the different and persuasive styles of talking. ..some interesting, classic or maybe country-specific accents of English language. ..some other more creative experiments to inspire you and your world. ..you know, some good reasons to study abroad.
19. Experiencing Different Learning Styles: First of all, does this really matter .. Well, this is a research related question and research says:
[stag_dropcap font_size=”50px” style=”normal”]“[/stag_dropcap]It is important to recognise that there is no single learning style theory that is universally accepted, nor is there a ‘right’ way to study or ‘best’ way to teach.”
Moreover, your host university must have certain activities. ..or education styles you should need to learn or adopt in your life. You will discover the different educational styles and other positive perspectives. Some of them may spur you enough. You’ll also be in better position to compare and state the broad differences. In an assessment, The Journey to Excellence conclude:
[stag_dropcap font_size=”50px” style=”normal”]“[/stag_dropcap]Some research suggests that the most able learners are those with reasonably plastic learning styles who can adapt their ability to learn to the prevailing materials and circumstances. In other words, making people move out of their preferred learning style gives them the possibility of developing new learning strategies.”
VOCATIONAL BENEFITS of study abroad
18. Enhances the Listening Skills: Studying abroad directly impact to our listening and comprehension skills. In their research “Interplay: The Process of Interpersonal Communication“.. Lawrence B. Rosenfeld, Ronald B. Adler, Russell F. Proctor, and T. J. Jenkins speak:
“An adult usually spends an average of 70% of their time engaging in some sort of communication, and of that 70%, an average of 45% is spent on listening compared to writing reading and speaking.”
This broadcast the importance of listening, in grown ups. And why study abroad is gonna influence it positively ..is totally obvious.
In abroad, new people, new environment, a new society and you too a new one. Most likely you are going to speak a little or just necessarily. In your first few weeks and then later, you will listen and observe more. Another dimension is, you will be facing miscellaneous speakers. That will add more value to your listening skills.
17. Bleaches Co-Operative Aptitude: Hundreds of thousands of miles away from your home, family and friends, among new people, who don’t even understand your language. And a thought that you are still at their mercy and compassion .. this will awake your inside human that will bleach your co-operative aptitude. It’s an interesting phenomenon if you are not a cooperative kind of human.
16. Getting Worldwide Exposure: One out of other advantages of studying abroad is that it will give you a worldwide exposure. Something like your understanding, knowing and reacting the world. Having doubts about its significance? Rob Fryer Head of Student Recruitment, Deloitte, says:
[stag_dropcap font_size=”50px” style=”normal”]“[/stag_dropcap]We’re operating in an increasingly global economy, where knowledge of different markets, cultures and languages is very important.”
15. Increases Interpersonal Skills: Being engaged with the people from the different groups, ages, tastes and ethnicity, causes to increase the interpersonal skills of the students. Which leads to a more successful career ahead. The Erasmus reveals why study abroad is employer’s charm:
14. Lights up the C.V impact: Achievements along with uniqueness is the most important element that employers usually seek .. in the C.Vs of the applicants. And you’re studying abroad, I guess will be a step further if not more, in the race of being unique. Which on the other hand, cannot be achieved if you just do a degree, rather doing a degree in abroad. Gone International: the value of mobility, reports:
13. Creates a Global Mindset: Remember what Jack Welch said in 1999?
[stag_dropcap font_size=”50px” style=”normal”]”[/stag_dropcap]The Jack Welch of the Future cannot be like me. I spent my entire career in the United States. The next head of General Electric will be somebody who spent time in Bombay, in Hong Kong, in Buenos Aires. We have to send our best and brightest overseas and make sure they have training that will allow them to be the global leaders who will make GE flourish in the future.”
12. Brushes up Your Career: But why to study abroad .. because a greater career is the byproduct of studying abroad. Look into the placements and salaries of mobile VS. non-mobile students:
Like, if an individual is acquiring so many skills .. including the listening skills, cooperating skills, interpersonal skills and many others. What actually you are expecting him in his/her career? “Gone International: Mobile students and their outcomes” observes the average salary of mobile VS. non-mobile students.
SOCIAL BENEFITS of study abroad
11. Builds Relationship Worldwide: During your stay in abroad, you are definitely going to have some meetups with the people around you. It may be the local folks .. your new friends .. your fellow buddies in the college/university or the general public. You’ll be growing and strengthening your connections with them .. by interacting or creating mutual understandings. Later, after finishing your stay .. and coming back home, some of them would still be in your touch .. proving your strong contacts and would serve for a long-long time.
10. Cross-Cultural Communication Skills: Studying abroad makes you acquire some great marketable skills, like cross-cultural communication skills. In your host country, you are having a deep eye on their customs .. traditions, rituals and most importantly, their general behaviours. Thus, you are in a better position, having a huge comfort level, in communicating with them. Than the one sitting in front of the computer, in an attempt to approach and engage ..reading about them on Google.
09. Mastering the Art of Being Social: Far from home, friends, family and cousins make you having a lot of spare time to spend on some social activities. What else do humans do if not being social at their leisure? Yeh, social animal .. that’s the phrase ..should come into your mind right after reading the second sentence. In an assessment, ZSR LIBRARY figures the social advantages of studying abroad:
08. Peeking out the Diverse Societies: Figuring out the different aspects of a society could be quite easy on not to be the part of them but to stay set aside and examine alongside. This is something like you can not determine the exact happening of a crowd by being the part of it. This is philosophical, but this is worthwhile.
07. Curating new Ventures: You meet dozens of different types of people all the while your stay in abroad. New goals can be set out at this level. Mostly business-wise but also some others. Here’s a visual evidence for why study abroad opens new doors to international students.
Like finding a soulmate and setting a marital venture with them. I don’t know why but I could not find any other example at the moment other than this. Anyway, look into European Commission’s stats.
GENERAL BENEFITS of study abroad
06. Experience the Culture: Knowing a culture is not knowing about their famous singers, foods, monuments or leaders only. It also involves experiencing the crest and trough of their day-to-day life. This can only be achieved if you stay long with them. For example, instead of living in the hostels, you can prefer to stay with your host family. You can mingle with them in their everyday activities. By becoming the part of their family, you can also take part in their customs & traditions to have a closer look. That’s why study abroad is more significant in understanding another culture.
05. Living Vs. Holidays: Living is to stay becoming the part of it. Mapping almost every mappable corner of the place. Digging deeper, meeting interesting people .. playing playful music .. spending adventurous hours, eating, gathering and other exciting stuff by being them. Holidays, however, are a completely different scenario. A neuroscientist Prof. David Eagleman proposes:
[stag_dropcap font_size=”50px” style=”normal”]“[/stag_dropcap]The more detailed the memory, the longer the moment seems to last. “This explains why we think that time speeds up when we grow older,” Further says—why childhood summers seem to go on forever, while old age slips by while we’re dozing. The more familiar the world becomes, the less information your brain writes down, and the more quickly time seems to pass.”
04. Spice up You Daily Life with Street Foods: Serve your taste buds so generously that they should thank you. Studying abroad is a good way to study and wander the compelling streets .. eating greater food stuff daily, absorbing some precious nutrients, etc. Making your stay a wow thing about your life.
03. Unforgettable and Important Life Experience: Everyone who studies abroad regard his year or semester abroad an unforgettable experience or sometimes the best time of their life. Professor Franz Neyer of Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena put this into the words:
[stag_dropcap font_size=”50px” style=”normal”]”[/stag_dropcap]To find one’s way in a foreign country is an important life experience.”
02. Exploring & Seeing the World: Explore! Explore and Explore! Have you got a time during your study breaks? Go get a backpack and set yourself out to explore the notable hamlets of your hosting country OR .. any other attractive places of the neighbouring country of your host institution. In essence, you could have a life-or-death experience of seeing the world while enjoying other benefits of studying abroad.
01. Having Fun in a Foreign Country: Another good reason why study abroad is important. This is the most creative way of having fun in a foreign country. Yes, nothing can beat the leverages one can have as a student in any culture and society. So, while putting your time and efforts in earning a degree abroad ..one can also have lots of fun outside the classroom.